Friday, March 16, 2012

Odd Wants During Nice Weather

You ever just get hit with a weird urge to do something that you haven’t done in years?
I’m a former Boy Scout. Actually, I’m an Eagle Scout, although I haven’t done anything with the program since the mid-nineties. However, I used to go camping at least once a month during the spring and summer. This is something that I haven’t done in years, but looking out the windows these past few beautiful days makes me regret the button up/bow tie office just a bit.
You know, until I remember I have the need to eat and provide for my family, which I wouldn’t trade for anything.
However, the idea of grabbing a tent and some basics, and if nothing else just heading over to Turkey Run State Park to spend the next few days camping and hiking is stuck in my head. Yeah, it’s not really roughing it, but it is a beautiful park with some great trails and some really nice scenery.  I’ve spent time there with Scouts, with friends, and with my wife, and I have no issue heading back at any time.
We’re just going to gloss over the fact that I don’t have enough time off, a tent, a sleeping bag, or the opportunity to head over there any time soon.
Things like this come to me when the girls are out of town.
I’m not trying to put any stereotypes out there, but Shannon refuses to go out and sleep anywhere that doesn’t have a private shower. That kind of shoots down anywhere that doesn’t have a AAA Rating and a roof. Combine that with the lack of needed equipment, and camping is right up there with the rest of the things I’m not doing any time soon.
Like seeing my toes.
Tony

No comments:

Post a Comment