Tuesday, March 13, 2012

I Miss My Golf Clubs

I miss my golf clubs.

They’re not expensive golf clubs, nor are they particularly high quality golf clubs, but they are my golf clubs. The problem is, my golf clubs are nowhere near my location. They’re located in the storage unit in Southern California. They’re not buried, either. They’re right across the front door. They’re right there, but unless I want to purchase a case for them so I can fly them back out here, they’re kind of stuck there until I either get a moving truck to move everything back out here, or I find a job that allows me to live in Southern California, and neither seems to be in the cards for the moment.

I’m not a particularly good golfer, nor do I play it often. I normally only play 9 holes, and I believe I’ve only ever really played on one, MAYBE 2 courses. Which courses, you might ask? I honestly couldn’t tell you. Oh, wait, I have Google. Let’s see… Hancock County Golf Courses. Nope, not Hancock County, Iowa. Hancock County Indiana Golf Courses. Ah ha! Arrowhead is the one I’ve been to the most, and it looks like the ONLY one I’ve hit. It looks like, from the map, that while I normally play the front 9, I have played the back 9 once. Whoops.

I’ve come in under par once, and I don’t think I’ve EVER cleared the small pond in front of the green on, well, let’s look at that map again. Okay, it’s the 4 th hole. My long drives are neither long nor do they drive well. My putting can’t stand on a course with a windmill, let alone a real golf course. I’m just not very good at it, and I really haven’t put any practice or work into getting better.

Then why do I miss my golf clubs?

It’s time that I can spend with my father and my brother. Golfing is the closest we have to “man time.” It’s a couple hours where we can rib on each other, congratulate each other, and just relax. Normally cigars are passed around, although now that I have quit smoking, I’m not sure how much I will partake of that, and we pass over the alcohol in favor of actual hydration, but it’s still a good time.

Now that my father is retiring, he has a membership to Arrowhead, so I know he’ll be spending more time out there. I know my brother will be spending time with him as well, and I wish I had my clubs, so I could join them too.

You never know how much time any of us have left, so you have to take advantage of the time you have.

Have a great day,
Tony

No comments:

Post a Comment