Friday, July 6, 2012

Zombie Board Games - Last Night on Earth

Good day, everyone. It’s Friday, I’ve got my Hawaiian Shirt on, and I’ve been given a donut and coffee. Let’s make this day happen.
While I like bagging on things that the internet loves, like bacon, hating Nickelback, and cat photos, I honestly have no beef with these things. In fact, while the internet LOVES zombies and the threat of the zombie apocalypse, I’ve grown rather burnt out on it, with the exception of a few books and movies. However, I have a buddy at work named Wayne that LOVES zombies in ways that I do not fully understand. He collects the toys, he has the shirts, he reads the books, he has the knowledge. I’ve helped him with a couple items he had heard of but hadn’t read, like “The Night Of The Living Trekkies” and the Newsflesh Trilogy, which I’ve written about here before. And yesterday after work, he helped introduce me to one of the zombie things he enjoys.
“Last Night on Earth” by Flying Frog Productions is a zombie board game that follows the formula of Humans Vs. Zombies and is part strategy, part luck of the draw. The manufacturer describes it thusly:
“Last Night on Earth The Zombie Game is a fast-paced game of brain-eating zombies, small town heroes and horror movie action. Players take on the role of either the heroes, working together to make it through the night or the zombies, unending waves of undead spreading over the town like a plague. Featuring a modular board, eight heroes to choose from and several different scenarios to play that drastically change the game. Last Night on Earth is designed to create a cinematic feel as the story and game unfolds. For 2-6 players. Takes 60-90 minutes. Modular game boards. Heroes versus Zombies.”
Wayne did a good job of explaining the game to me, and by the luck of the toss, I played the 4 human Heroes on the board, while Wayne played the up to 13 Zombies on the board. My Heroes were the “winning” combo of The Sheriff, the Sheriff’s kid, The High School Sweetheart, and The Preacher, which I got through a random draw. We played the simple version of the game, without all the advanced rules, and it still took about an hour and a half. It was a fun game, though, and I think the game was close, and I know that, even being a newb at it, I still threw a couple surprises at Wayne that hopefully kept the game interesting for him, since you know how slow a game can go when you have a new guy who has to keep reading every card and its effects.
I really enjoyed the game, and it also has expansions to help keep it fresh and new. It is a game that I know Shannon would love to have in the game library when we have a chance to get it built back up. If you enjoy zombies, customizable board games, and fun, you’ll enjoy this.
This weekend, keep an eye on the Twitter Feed, since I’m going to be spending a lot of time on the computer working on the self-hosted sites. Due to the amount of time that I’ll be spending, I’ll probably have a tendency to put some stuff up to help break the monotony of getting Wordpress figured out. If not, then I’ll see you all on Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment