Thursday, January 19, 2012

To Do List, or Long and Boring Mental List of Goals

Good morning, everybody!

First things first: I’m not really expecting anybody to read or care about this posting. This is more of a motivational post for me. They say putting your goals in writing makes them a bit more concrete, and putting them online for others to see really puts you on the line.

I’m just going to be doing real short postings this weekend. First, when I’m not at the computer at work, I don’t have quite as much writing time. Second, I’m going to be sending my wife and the Geekling to California on Tuesday for a bit, and no offense to this, but I’d rather spend the time with them than on the computer.

Now, once they leave on Tuesday, I’ve got a “to do” list of things I need to get taken care of online. First and foremost is taking down my “Geeking” blogs and rebuilding them from the ground up. It is my understanding that Wordpress does allow multiple blogs on the same database in version 3, and if that is the case, I need to figure out how to get both “Geeking in Indiana” and “Geeking in SoCal” running off the same space, where they won’t die when I run an update on the Wordpress software, which is what happened with them. Plus, I need to teach myself about the actual software, since I guess it’s not quite as idiot-proof as I thought it was, to help keep it from happening again.

Once those are up, I need to re-establish my presence on their social media accounts. In the case of Too Many Twitter Accounts, I have the @tokarrai account that’s my personal one, then @geekinginsocal and @indianageeking for the blogs. I also have sorely neglected Facebook pages for them, and I’m really tempted to create Google+ pages for them.

However, they are not getting Pinterest or Tumblr accounts.

And the optimist in me is hoping to have this done by Super Bowl Weekend, since, you know how much people who visit the Super Bowl like visiting hobby shops. However, it still gives me a date and a goal to have it all taken care of.

Once that is done, I need to crack the whip on my SoCal crew about getting me some content on the West Coast, and I need to start visiting more locations in Indiana that sit outside the Indianapolis area. However, I will be out visiting SoCal for the Geekling’s birthday, so I’m going to try to check out some locations in the area where I’ll be staying.

I figure that I will head over to the office complex’s gym after work, work out, then head home for dinner and then pull out the computer and get to work for about an hour or so a night. I really need to treat these blogs like part of my job, or else I won’t do it.

Blogs like this one are fun, and they have no structure and ramble, so I really am just writing it for myself, and I’m not really expecting anyone else to read or care on it. It’s more mental roadkill on the internet superhighway, in all honesty. However, my other pieces I’m really doing for public consumption, and I’m trying to get some advertising money off of them just to pay for the hosting fees and domain names. I wish I could break even on them, but if I can’t even keep the blogs up, what hope do I have?

In all honesty, if they don’t take off any in 2012, then they’re going down as personally hosted sites. I might transfer all the info to a Blogger account like this one, since they already have Google accounts attached to them, but I’m not quite sure. Let’s just cross that bridge when we come to it, shall we?

Now, I have other things that I want to pick up while they are gone. I already mentioned the knitting, and I have barely scratched the surface of some of my games like Batman: Arkham City or Fallout: New Vegas. Heck, since I lost most of my game saves transferring from one Xbox 360 to another, I need to get caught back up on Fallout 3, Fable 3, Batman: Arkham Asylum and Elder Scrolls: Oblivion. Forget any new games right now, unless it’s a Fitness game for the Kinect to help break monotony, or a Gold Card for Xbox Live.

I also want to play with the Timeline feature on Facebook. Why? I really have no idea. It’s just kind of in the back of my mind that I haven’t even played with it, and I want to see what I can add in, like Stopping a Terminator from killing Sarah Conner.

Finally, I want to look at the appearance of this blog, see if I can make it a bit more “me.”

Let’s see how much of this I actually get done.

Now, did you actually read all of this? If so, do you have any tips or advice, especially on the Wordpress front? If so, let me know in the comments!

Tony

No comments:

Post a Comment