Thursday, January 12, 2012

A Little Walking Music

Yes, it’s another exercise post. Let’s just write this off to exercise this week, and this weekend I’ll go with something a bit more geek, like costume ideas I want to get out there. Does that sound good? Excellent.
Today I want to revisit my “tech” that I use while exercising, specifically in terms of entertainment. Sometimes, if I have enough battery power, I like to use Pandora or Google Music through my Evo Android phone, especially Google Music. I have been using it since it’s been in beta, and I have most of my music collection uploaded to it. It’s allowed me to make some playlists, so I’m able to listen to fairly consistent upbeat songs that make me want to move. Pandora is nice, and I’m trying to “train” some playlists, but then it throws in a slower song, and it really drags me down. I’ve also attempted to use Netflix, but a movie doesn’t keep me moving like a song does.

Most of the time for music, I’ll use my Zune. Yes, I’m one of 20 people that still uses a Zune Music Player. Mine is a Gears of War 120G, and I’ve got a decent playlist that I’m always tweaking as I find something new, or I get tired of something. One great thing about the Zune is the Zune Marketplace, which for $15 a month you get unlimited subscription based downloads through their music store, plus 10 tracks a month that you get to keep. Sure, they don’t have everything, and some bands who have traditionally not been big fans of the digital format still make you pay for the downloads instead of being able to use your subscription, but it still has enough music that I’ve filled up with over 7600 songs.

A few months back, when I decided to start making use of the fitness center, I decided that I would need to have some tunes to keep me moving while there. I’m a big Barenaked Ladies fan, but their music isn’t really EXERCISE music. Something with a quick beat, not something that will put you to sleep, which put right out any of the Enya or Loreena McKennitt that I had on the player.

Don’t judge.

Knowing that the Lord of the Rings soundtracks wouldn’t keep me moving, I started digging around for ideas. One blog that I frequent is called The Art of Manliness, and they had a great article about songs for working out (http://artofmanliness.com/2008/08/05/52-workout-songs-to-help-you-get-bigger-stronger-and-faster/). So, one evening, I sat down and started downloading songs, and I was about to get most of them through Zune Marketplace easily. Since then, I’ve been tweaking and adjusting. For example, some of the songs are a bit too slow for me. And then I’ve been going through my library and adding songs when I remember one. For example, I’ve added:

- “Derezzed” by Daft Punk
- “Take Me Out” by Franz Ferdinand
- “A Little Less Conversation (Remix)” by Elvis Presley
- “Bleed It Out” by Linkin Park
- “F**k You” by Cee-Lo Green
- “Don’t Stop The Sandman” by Rock Sugar
- “Party Rock Anthem” and “Sexy And I Know It” by LMFAO

Now, will this be what I’m listening to in another week, or another month? I might, I might not. I could have removed a song or three, I could have added a few songs. I could have thrown the Zune across the room in a fit of anger, something that has been known to happen from time to time. But anyway….
What about you? What do you listen to when you’re on the treadmill or working out?
Tony

No comments:

Post a Comment