Thursday, June 21, 2012

Library Card!

So yesterday, I realized that since I have an Indiana driver’s license, it is now easy for me to get a library card. So, before the office network went down yesterday, I printed out the form, filled it out, and headed over to the Lawrence branch to get it taken care of.
I was able to get the card with minimal fuss, after a little mix-up with someone else in the system with the same first and middle name as mine. I guess Anthony Lee is common enough to throw off a librarian. Anyway, after getting the card, I kind of skimmed around, making note that the branch was smaller than what I was used to in Henry County, or Rancho Cucamonga, CA. After getting a feel, I left without checking anything out.
Then, last night, I got online and registered my online account. That is when it clicked that I was just in a branch of a large system. I started putting together my want list, all to be picked up at my local branch. I have comic books on my list, I have the second book in the Newsflesh Zombie/Blogger series and The Nerdist Way on my list, I have Animaniacs DVD’s and CD’s for the Geekling on my list. And this was just after poking around a bit. I still need to peek through my Want To Read list, figure out what I want to read that I don’t already have digitally.
Speaking of digitally, they also have loaning of books for eReaders. Since I have a Nook, albeit a dying Nook, I like this and I’ve put a couple of those on my hold list as well. They also allow 3 MP3 downloads from the Sony catalog a month, and they have some hard to find albums on there, that I haven’t been able to find via Amazon or random web searching. Audio Books will be good if I have any more long road trips, although I do normally listen to Podcasts for that.
So, I now have access to books, comics, magazines, cd’s, DVD’s, Audio Books, Digital Content, and a collection of children’s entertainment that will hopefully help me teach the Geekling about borrowing vs. owning, sharing, and treating others property with respect.
Yeah, I know I’m just now catching up with all my frugal friends, but I’m just very excited. Now, if only they carried Xbox 360 games, but I thought it was weird that the library in Rancho Cucamonga, CA carried those in the first place.
Now to wait for my hold list notifications to come rolling in…
Tony

No comments:

Post a Comment