Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Flying Solo

So I’m driving to work this morning, and I notice a restaurant with the water sprinklers running, making its grass nice and green. EVERYPLACE ELSE around this joint has grass a lovely shade of dead, since we’re in a frakkin’ drought. I don’t know why, but this doesn’t sit well with me, and I don’t believe I’ll be going there to help pay for their nice green grass anytime soon.
I’m looking at you, Olive Garden in Castleton. While we’re at it, I’m looking at you, The Vitamin Shoppe at Clearwater Crossing.
Anyway, it’s warm, it’s dry, it’s Southern California without the mountains and beach! Huzzah!
It’s Southern California without the Disneyland, Knott’s Berry Farm, Six Flags Magic Mountain, Lego Land, or Sea World.
Okay, seriously, what the heck? Anyway.
Speaking of Southern California, the girls are going to be flying out there Monday evening for a couple of weeks to visit my in-laws, while I stay out here to earn the paycheck, figure out how to survive off of beans and rice, learn how to make a pie, and try to find more work. Just a couple weeks doesn’t really bug me, because then that’s a couple weeks that I don’t have to wear pants around the house. Plus, I don’t feel like I’m losing time from my family when I go out walking or riding the bike, and I have no qualms spending time off playing Fallout. Bills go down, since I’m not home during the day so nothing is really running. Food consumption is down, since we’re feeding only me. Laundry doesn’t need done every day.
However, I’d rather have my girls around. I’d rather have the Geekling waiting by the window for me to get home, hearing the cries of “DADDY’S HOME! DADDY’S HOME!” as she rushes to the front door, waiting for me to open it so she can give me a hug. I’d rather have a dinner cooked by Shannon, with conversation about our days and how our little side money making gigs are going. I’d rather spend an evening watching a movie with the Geekling while Shannon is at the gym, then putting her through her bedtime motions of bathtime, potty, story time, then sleep than spend an evening at home with some Mturk, video games, treadmill and bed.
But it is what it is. I need to make the best of it, and see that when the girls get back, things are at least a little better than it was when they left.
I think that’s a pretty good goal.
Tony

No comments:

Post a Comment