Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Welcome to 2013

So, here we sit on the second day of 2013. Most people threw out their resolution blog posts yesterday, but I was spending time with my family before they took another trip to Southern California earlier this morning. So here I am, late in the day on the second, taking breaks between reviewing call recordings to let you know my plans for 2013.

I do recall that I did one of these last year, as well. That one had some weird stuff on it, like learning to knit. Yeah, that stuff didn't happen. However, I did follow through on exercising more, even though it was inconsistent exercise. And that is something that I'm going to keep up on through 2013.

Now, before I begin, this is NOT a list of Resolutions. This is a list of goals, of tangible items that I'm starting on, and intending to work on through 2013. Will I achieve them all? Yes, yes I will. If I think otherwise, then they are doomed to fail. "Don't just dream, do." is a little something that I posted on The Twitter on New Years Eve, and I really believe that. I guess it's kind of a play off of the Rocky Horror Picture Show, "Don't dream it, be it" but you can't say "Don't drink it, Rocky peed in it" to it.

Anyway, some of my goals in 2013, in no particular order:

  • Walk 500 miles - I try to go out when I can, and walk. Well, Runkeeper lets you set goals. For some reason, and this might be the fault of The Proclaimers, I believe that I can walk 500 miles. And then, perhaps, I can walk 500 more. First, though, 500. That is about 42 a month, be it on treadmill, on the road, or where ever. I shall walk 500 miles in 2013.
  • Bike 1000 miles - I need to use my bike, that is a fact. Normally, I can bike about 3X the amount I can walk, so I figure that 1000 is not unrealistic. 84 miles a month? Too bad I don't feel safe riding into work, that wouldn't be a problem.
  • Cooking - Every month, money permitting, I want to learn how to cook one thing I've never cooked before. In 2011, it was the Thanksgiving Turkey. In 2012, I ventured into beans, slow cooker whole chicken, and making a weeks worth of freezer meals from scratch. In 2013, I'm going to be looking for something new, different, and not too expensive. What it will be, I do not know, but hopefully it will be tasty, and not make me sick!
  • Social Media - I'm trimming the fat. Be it on Twitter, Facebook, or Google Plus, I'm going to trim down the number of people I follow that do nothing but post negativity. Since before the election, I'm sick of seeing politically charged posts from all camps. Since the shootings, I'm tired of seeing "'MURICA = GUNS!" posts. I deal with enough negativity in working customer service, I do not want to willingly follow it on Social Media accounts. So, if you see that you've lost me, just deal with it.
  • Email - I've got too many email accounts. Hotmail, Yahoo, multiple Gmail accounts, and all of them have been signed up for mailing lists throughout the years. Lots of mailing lists. I've been hitting unsubscribe for many of them since the 30th, but they're still coming. And yes, I'm keeping track of the ones I've unsubscribed from. If they're still coming after a week, I'm sending to spam. I want to give the benefit of the doubt, first.
  • Finally, my blogs will probably end up being cleaned up and rethemed. I'm still debating whether or not I want to merge this one with the Troxell Pack blog on Wordpress or not, though. Either way, this one needs a new layout, I need to get the pages not to show the whole posts, and I have some posts that have really wonky colors and backgrounds, and I have to figure out how to clean that up.
Oh, and I promise to only occasionally blog about how I'm doing on these goals on here. I did too much "Last night I did the treadmill. Again." posting last year. This year, I'm going to focus more on something that might be more quality, and less of a space filler, because I feel like I have to post every day.

I'm looking forward to what 2013 might bring, and I'm looking forward to scratching off some of these goals as the year goes on.

How about you?
Tony

1 comment:

  1. Goals, as much as I love these they bring so much pressure once introduced.

    My main goal this year is to buy a house. Well, have a bank buy the house and slowly, painfully pay them back and live in the house, paint the walls purple because I know they'll love it.

    After the house? Get a dog. An adorable, squeezable, shoestring drooling floppy dog. I might get two. I might go Bridesmaids crazy and go 9 puppies. All I know is when my son is gone for more than a couple days at a time I feel lost. My on-site mom'in is coming to an end and a person doesn't just portal back to what they were before children, which is awesome because I was kind of a d'bag.

    New glasses. I got a kindle for Christmas and am using readers I bought many years ago when reading to my son at bedtime to read my books. I'm having that, omg I know what's coming thoughts running through my blind little head.

    With the house comes a lot of other things so that's all I've got for myself. My son still lives with me as he's a Senior in High School and still silent on his own goals.

    ReplyDelete