Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Questioning


Hotmail. Yahoo. Gmail. Outlook. Juno.
How many email addresses does one need?

Blogger. Wordpress. Geocities. Tripod.
How many websites have you built? How many blogs do you need to write?


LinkedIn. Myspace. Google Plus. Facebook. Twitter. Tumblr. Instagram. Foursquare. Get Glue.
How much do you really need to put yourself out there?

I wish I could tell you that I was going somewhere with this, but this is honestly just something that crossed my mind as I was pondering what to write about for today. Honestly, at one time or another, I’ve had accounts on all of these?

I’ve had email accounts on or through all of those, and I STILL have accounts on most.

Websites? I have two blogs on Blogger right now, one on Wordpress, and the Wordpress site filled the void after I lost the Geocities site. Wow, I just distracted myself by looking at the old site on the Internet Wayback Machine. Wow. Not as many flashy gifs as I remembered, though.

No, I’m not giving you the address.

Anyway, social media? Yeah, we know what a train wreck I am there. I’ve actually gotten around to deleting my LinkedIn and Tumblr accounts, and I’ve never recreated my MySpace account after trashing it in ’08. However, I have a Facebook account, two Twitter accounts (that you know of) for myself and my blog, Google Plus because, well, it came with the Google. Instagram? I occasionally take pictures, and I like showing support to my friends. Get Glue gives me stickers, and Foursquare? I still don’t know why I use it.

Why do I have accounts on so many sites? This isn’t even counting the message boards that I follow. Movie props, Ghostbusters, Star Wars Costuming, Banjo Pickers, Star Trek Costuming, and Halo Costuming. Halo costuming? Seriously? When the FRAK am I ever going to look the part of Master Chief?

I’m wondering if it’s part of a need to feel like I belong. To be bluntly honest, I was not a popular kid in school. I was socially inept. The summer between 3rd and 4th grade, my family moved and I switched schools. I left all of my friends, who I had grown up with up until that point, behind, and I was completely clueless on how to make new friends. With the exception of one or two people, this remained true through Middle School and most of High School, until I was almost killed in a car accident before my junior year and started to not give a flying rat’s arse about what other people thought about me anymore, or so I thought.

Who knows? It could be a need to belong, it could be escape, it could be addiction, it could be boredom, it could be because I actually honestly enjoy everything I’m doing.

Maybe I need to stop questioning it, and just roll with it.

Later,
Tony

2 comments:

  1. Interestingly, I have friends in each circle. So if I forget (or quit using) a service, I lose track of friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ones I got rid of, I never used enough to get any friends. I could honestly lose Facebook and not lose anyone that I care to keep in touch with.

      BTW, I thought you would get a kick out of this: You were comment #69 on this blog.

      Delete